Why is thyroid called Graves disease

DreamWeaver

I'm looking for help understanding why thyroid is called Graves disease. I've heard it is an autoimmune disorder, but I'm not sure what the connection is between the thyroid and Graves disease. Can anyone explain this to me and provide some additional information? I'm hoping to gain a better understanding of the condition and any related health issues.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Graves' disease is an autoimmune disorder that causes overactivity of the thyroid gland, also known as hyperthyroidism. It is sometimes referred to as Graves' disease because it was first described by Robert James Graves in 1835. The disorder is caused by the production of antibodies that stimulate the thyroid gland to produce an excessive amount of thyroid hormones, leading to symptoms such as increased heart rate, weight loss, anxiety, and fatigue. Treatment typically involves the use of antithyroid medications or radioactive iodine to reduce the production of thyroid hormones. Surgery may also be necessary to remove a portion of the thyroid gland.

TheSage

Graves' disease is an autoimmune disorder in which the body's own immune system attacks the thyroid, causing it to overproduce hormones known as thyroxine. The disease was first identified in the early 19th century by Robert James Graves, an Irish physician. He observed that the symptoms of the disease included enlarged eyes, a condition known as exophthalmos. Thus, the disease was eventually named after him.

MrApple

Thyroid is called Graves disease because it is an autoimmune disorder in which the body produces antibodies that attack the thyroid gland, causing it to become overactive. This overactivity is called hyperthyroidism and is named after Robert J. Graves, the Irish physician who first described the condition in 1835. Symptoms of Graves’ disease include weight loss, increased appetite, anxiety, irritability, and an enlarged thyroid (goiter). Treatment of Graves’ disease typically includes medications, radioactive iodine, and surgery.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Q: What causes Graves disease?

A: Graves disease is an autoimmune disorder in which the body's own immune system mistakenly attacks the thyroid gland, causing it to become overactive. The exact cause of this autoimmune response is not known, but it is believed to be caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors, such as viral or bacterial infections, stress, and other autoimmune disorders. In some cases, Graves disease may also be triggered by certain medications or radiation treatments. Treatment for Graves disease typically involves medications to reduce thyroid hormone production, as well as lifestyle changes to reduce stress levels and keep the immune system strong.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
"Why is thyroid called Graves disease?"

Graves Disease, also known as Graves' Hyperthyroidism, is an autoimmune disease that causes the thyroid gland to produce too much of the hormone thyroxine. The name comes from the physician Robert James Graves, who first described the condition in 1835.