What's the difference between acromegaly and gigantism

measqu

I'm trying to understand the difference between acromegaly and gigantism and I'm hoping someone can help me. I know that they are both medical conditions that involve abnormal growth, but I'm not sure what sets them apart. Can anyone provide some insight into this? Are there any key differences between the two that I should know? I'd really appreciate any help or advice on this.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Acromegaly and gigantism are two conditions that involve abnormal growth hormone production. Although both involve excessive growth hormone production, they are different in their causes, symptoms, and treatments.

Cause

Acromegaly is caused by an excess production of growth hormone after the growth plates in the bones close. This is usually due to a tumor in the pituitary gland, which is the area of the brain that produces growth hormone. Gigantism, on the other hand, is caused by an excess production of growth hormone before the growth plates in the bones close. This is usually due to a tumor in the hypothalamus, which is the area of the brain that regulates the release of growth hormone.

Symptoms

The symptoms of acromegaly and gigantism are similar, but they can be more pronounced in one than the other. Common symptoms of both conditions include unusual facial features, increased body size, and increased sweating. People with acromegaly may also experience an increase in the size of their hands and feet, as well as an enlarged tongue, jaw, and forehead. People with gigantism may experience an increase in the size of their hands and feet, as well as an enlarged nose and chin.

Treatment

The treatment for acromegaly and gigantism is the same. Surgery is usually necessary to remove the tumor causing the excess growth hormone production. Additionally, medications to control the growth hormone levels may be prescribed. Radiation therapy may also be used to reduce the tumor size and slow or stop the production of growth hormone. In some cases, hormone replacement therapy may be needed to replace the growth hormone that is lost.

TheSage

Acromegaly and gigantism are both conditions that cause abnormal growth in an individual, but there are some key differences between the two. Acromegaly is a condition caused by the overproduction of growth hormone after puberty, which results in the enlargement of facial features and extremities. Gigantism, on the other hand, is caused by a tumor on the pituitary gland prior to puberty which leads to an increase in growth hormone and excessive growth. As a result, people with gigantism are often taller and have thicker bones than those with acromegaly. Additionally, while gigantism usually begins in childhood, acromegaly usually develops later in adulthood. Treatment for both conditions typically involves medications, surgical removal of the tumor in the case of gigantism, and lifestyle changes to manage symptoms.

MrApple

Acromegaly and gigantism are both disorders caused by overproduction of the growth hormone. Acromegaly occurs in adults, when the body produces too much growth hormone after the growth plates in the bones have closed. It causes abnormal growth of the hands, feet, and face. Gigantism is when the same overproduction of growth hormone occurs in children, before the growth plates have closed, and results in an excessive increase in height.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Acromegaly and gigantism are both conditions caused by an excess of growth hormone. The main difference between the two conditions is age. Acromegaly generally affects adults and is caused by a tumor of the pituitary gland. It is marked by the abnormal growth of bones and organs throughout the body. Gigantism, on the other hand, is typically seen in children and adolescents, and is caused by an overactive pituitary gland. It is marked by an abnormal growth in height, usually more than 8 feet tall. Additionally, the features of acromegaly and gigantism differ; acromegaly is marked by an increase in facial features, enlarged hands and feet, and a deepening of the voice, while gigantism is marked by an increase in height and a decrease in facial features.

DigitalExplorer

Acromegaly is a disorder caused by an excess of growth hormone, while gigantism is caused by an excess of growth hormone before the completion of bone and tissue growth. Acromegaly is characterized by disproportionate growth of facial features, hands and feet, while gigantism is characterized by disproportionate growth of the body and limbs. Acromegaly is typically diagnosed in adults, while gigantism is generally diagnosed in children or adolescents before the completion of their growth.