What is Ascus in pregnancy

measqu

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping to get some help with a question about Ascus in pregnancy. I'm 32 weeks pregnant and my gynecologist told me I had an Ascus result in my recent pap smear. She said it's something to watch out for, but I don't really know what it is or what it could mean. Can anyone explain what an Ascus result means for me and my baby? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Ascus, or Atypical Squamous Cells of Undetermined Significance, is an abnormal cell that may be found during a Pap test. A Pap test is a screening test used to check for cervical cancer and other diseases of the cervix. Ascus is not necessarily a sign of cancer, but it may indicate an increased risk of developing cervical cancer. Depending on the results of the Pap test, your doctor may recommend further testing or treatment.

TheSage

Ascus, or atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance, is a term used to describe a type of abnormal cells that are found during a Pap smear test. These cells can indicate a range of conditions, including infection, inflammation, and changes that may be associated with pre-cancerous or cancerous cells. If a Pap smear result shows the presence of Ascus, further tests and monitoring are usually recommended to check for underlying problems.

MrApple

Ascus is a term used to describe an abnormality in the cells of the cervix. It is often seen in pregnant women who are screened for cervical cancer. It is usually caused by an HPV infection and is usually benign, but it can sometimes be a sign of a precancerous condition. Treatment for ascus usually involves colposcopy, which is a procedure that examines the cervix using a microscope. The results of the colposcopy can help determine if the ascus is a cause for concern.

DebatingDynamo

Ascus is an acronym for Atypical Squamous Cells of Undetermined Significance, and it is a term used in the context of cervical cancer screening. Ascus is a type of cell found during a Pap smear test, which is used to detect changes in the cells of the cervix that can indicate the presence of precancerous or cancerous conditions. Ascus cells are considered to be of uncertain significance because they could indicate a risk of cervical cancer, but they could also be a false positive.

When ascus is found during a Pap smear, it is important for a woman to follow up with her doctor or gynecologist to explore the possible causes and to determine if further testing is needed. Depending on the results of the follow-up testing, a doctor may recommend a colposcopy, which is an examination of the cervix using a microscope, or a biopsy, which is a sample of tissue taken from the cervix to be examined under a microscope.

During pregnancy, it is important for women to get regular Pap smears and to follow up with their doctor if any abnormal cells are found. This is because certain types of cervical cancer can develop during pregnancy, and it is important to catch any potential issues early. Ascus cells may sometimes be found in pregnant women, and it is important for them to follow up with their doctor for further testing.

In conclusion, ascus is an acronym for Atypical Squamous Cells of Undetermined Significance, which are cells found during a Pap smear test that could indicate a risk of cervical cancer. During pregnancy, it is important for women to get regular Pap smears and to follow up with their doctor if any abnormal cells are found, including ascus cells.

DigitalExplorer

Q: What are the risks associated with Ascus in pregnancy?

A: Ascus is a medical term used to indicate an abnormal Pap test result. During pregnancy, Ascus may be caused by numerous factors, including hormonal changes, changes in the cervical cells, or an infection. While there is no direct risk to the mother or the fetus, Ascus may be a sign of infection or a precancerous condition, and further testing may be necessary to identify the underlying cause. It is important to follow up with a healthcare provider if Ascus is detected, as early detection and treatment can help to reduce the potential risks associated with it.