What happens to the body after an autopsy

IdeaGenius

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some help on understanding what happens to a body after an autopsy. I'm not sure what the procedure entails, or what happens to the body after the autopsy is completed. Could someone please provide me with some information and insight on this topic? I'd really appreciate any advice that anyone can give me. Thank you.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
What is an Autopsy?

An autopsy, also known as a post-mortem examination, is a medical procedure in which the body of a deceased person is examined in order to determine the cause of death. During an autopsy, the body is opened and organs, tissues, and other structures are examined and evaluated for evidence of disease and other conditions that may have contributed to the death.

What Happens to the Body After an Autopsy?

Once the autopsy is complete, the body is cleaned and prepared for burial. The organs and tissues that were removed during the autopsy are typically preserved in special containers for further examination and analysis. These specimens may be used in research studies or to help diagnose conditions in living people.

The remains are then returned to the family for funeral services. Depending on the wishes of the family, the body may be buried or cremated. In some cases, the body may also be donated to a medical school or research facility for use in teaching and research.