What happens if you stop breathing for 20 minutes

IdeaGenius

I'm really worried about what would happen if I stopped breathing for 20 minutes. Has anyone ever experienced this or know of anyone who has? I'm looking for insight on what could happen and what the long-term effects might be. I've read some articles, but I'm hoping to get some firsthand information. Has anyone ever heard of anyone who has stopped breathing for 20 minutes? Any advice or information would be much appreciated. Thank you.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
If you stop breathing for 20 minutes or longer, it can lead to a serious medical emergency called respiratory arrest. Respiratory arrest occurs when a person stops breathing completely and their oxygen levels drop dangerously low. In some cases, respiratory arrest can lead to death if not treated quickly.

Signs of Respiratory Arrest

If someone stops breathing for more than 20 minutes, there are a number of signs that can indicate respiratory arrest. These include:

• Loss of consciousness

• No breathing or very shallow breathing

• A weak pulse

• Blue or pale skin

• Confusion, disorientation, or agitation

• Abnormal heart rate

• Unresponsive to verbal or physical stimulation

Treatment for Respiratory Arrest

If someone is experiencing respiratory arrest, it is important to seek medical help immediately. The most effective treatment for respiratory arrest is CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation). CPR involves pressing on the chest to manually pump oxygenated blood through the body. Defibrillation may also be used to shock the heart back into its normal rhythm.

Preventing Respiratory Arrest

The best way to prevent respiratory arrest is to take steps to ensure that you don’t stop breathing for an extended period of time. This includes avoiding activities that can cause choking, such as eating too quickly or playing with small objects. It is also important to practice good sleeping habits and avoid sleep apnea. If you are at risk of respiratory arrest, your doctor may recommend using a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine to keep your airways open.