What happens if CPR is too fast

IdeaGenius

I'm new to CPR and I'm wondering what happens if it's performed too fast. I know it's important to perform CPR at the correct rate, but I'm not sure what goes wrong if you don't. Can anyone help me understand the consequences of performing CPR too quickly? Are there any tips or techniques for getting the rate right? Any advice would be much appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
CPR is a potentially lifesaving procedure, but it can be dangerous if not performed correctly. If CPR is performed too quickly, not only can it be ineffective, but it can also cause harm to the person receiving it.

Risks of Too Fast CPR

When CPR is performed too quickly, it can cause the chest compressions to be too shallow, making them less effective at circulating oxygen-rich blood to the brain and other vital organs. Additionally, too fast CPR can cause the ribs to break or the sternum (breastbone) to fracture.

Proper CPR Technique

To ensure you are performing CPR correctly, the American Red Cross recommends the following:

• Compress the chest at least 2 inches (5 cm) deep, but no more than 2.4 inches (6 cm).

• Give 30 chest compressions in about 2 seconds.

• Allow the chest to recoil completely before each compression.

• Give two rescue breaths after every 30 compressions.

• Continue with cycles of 30 compressions and two breaths until help arrives or the person starts to show signs of life.

Conclusion

CPR is an important lifesaving procedure, but it can be dangerous if performed too quickly. The proper technique should be followed to ensure the safety of the person receiving the CPR. If you are ever unsure of how to perform CPR, seek help from a qualified health care provider or take a CPR class.