What are the long term side effects of azithromycin

measqu

I'm hoping to get some help from other forum users. For the past few months, I've been taking azithromycin for a recurring infection. I'm curious to know what the long term side effects of taking this medication could be. Has anyone else taken azithromycin for a long period of time? If so, what kind of long term side effects did you experience? I'd love to hear from others about their experiences with this medication.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Long-Term Side Effects of Azithromycin

Azithromycin is an antibiotic medication used to treat a variety of infections, such as bacterial infections, sinus infections, and even some sexually transmitted diseases. While it is generally a safe and effective medication, it can have some side effects, both short-term and long-term. Here, we discuss the possible long-term side effects of azithromycin.

Gastrointestinal Issues

One of the most common side effects of azithromycin is an upset stomach. This can manifest as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or constipation. If these symptoms become severe or do not go away, it is important to speak to a doctor.

Liver Problems

Azithromycin can cause liver problems in some people, such as an increased risk of developing a type of liver disease called cholestatic hepatitis. Symptoms of this include jaundice, fatigue, abdominal pain, and dark urine. If you experience any of these symptoms, contact your doctor immediately.

Hearing Loss

Azithromycin has been linked with hearing loss in some people, although this is rare. If you experience any hearing loss, dizziness, or ringing in the ears, it is important to contact your doctor.

Skin Reactions

Azithromycin can cause skin reactions in some people, such as hives, rashes, or itching. If your skin reactions become severe or do not go away, it is important to speak to a doctor.

Antibiotic Resistance

One of the long-term risks of taking azithromycin is the development of antibiotic resistance. This means that bacteria can become resistant to the antibiotic, making it less effective. It is important to only take azithromycin when it is prescribed by your doctor, and to take the full course of treatment.

Allergic Reactions

Azithromycin can cause allergic reactions in some people. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include difficulty breathing, hives, and swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat. If you experience any of these symptoms, contact your doctor immediately.

If you are taking azithromycin and experience any of the above side effects, it is important to contact your doctor. It is also important to discuss any other medications, supplements, or herbs you are taking with your doctor.