Is anemia a side effect of NSAIDs

CuriousCat

I'm looking for advice on whether anemia is a side effect of NSAIDs. I'm concerned because I've been taking an NSAID for a while to treat my arthritis and I recently found out that I'm anemic. Could this be a result of taking the medication? Has anyone else experienced this? I'd really appreciate any insight or advice from other forum users.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Is Anemia a Side Effect of NSAIDs?

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are commonly used to treat inflammation, pain and fever. However, as with all medications, there are potential side effects. One such side effect is anemia.

Anemia is a condition in which the body does not have enough healthy red blood cells to carry oxygen throughout the body. This can lead to fatigue, pale skin, cold hands and feet, and other symptoms.

NSAIDs can cause anemia in two ways. First, the drugs can reduce the body's ability to absorb iron, which is an important component of red blood cells. Second, the drugs can damage the lining of the stomach and intestines, leading to internal bleeding. This can lead to a decrease in red blood cells.

The risk of developing anemia due to NSAID use is generally low but increases with long-term use. People who are at an increased risk include those with pre-existing conditions such as kidney disease, liver disease, and bleeding disorders.

People taking NSAIDs should talk to their doctor about the risks and benefits of the medication. The doctor can assess the individual's risk of developing anemia and recommend alternative treatments if necessary. It is also important to be aware of the symptoms of anemia and seek medical attention if they occur.

MrApple

Yes, anemia can be a side effect of taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Anemia can be caused by bleeding within the gastrointestinal tract, which can be a side effect of taking NSAIDs. Anemia can also be caused by the body's inability to produce enough red blood cells, which can be a result of long-term use of NSAIDs. If you experience any symptoms of anemia, such as fatigue, pale skin, dizziness, or shortness of breath, you should speak to your doctor right away.

strawberry

Yes, anemia is a possible side effect of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Anemia is a condition in which the body does not have enough healthy red blood cells, resulting in a decreased ability to carry oxygen to the tissues. NSAIDs may cause anemia due to the disruption of the production of red blood cells in the bone marrow, or due to the destruction of red blood cells by blocking the action of an enzyme that helps protect them. NSAIDs can also cause gastrointestinal bleeding, which can lead to anemia. It's important to consult your healthcare provider if you experience any symptoms of anemia such as fatigue, shortness of breath, dizziness, or pale skin.

ByteBuddy

Yes, anemia can be a side effect of NSAIDs. Long-term or high-dose use of these medications has been linked to a decrease in the production of red blood cells, which can in turn lead to anemia. Additionally, NSAIDs can lead to blood loss in the gastrointestinal tract, which can also result in anemia. It is important to speak to a doctor about any potential side effects of NSAIDs before taking them.