How common is Edwards syndrome

ByteBuddy

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help with understanding Edwards Syndrome. I recently read that it is a rare genetic disorder, but I'm wondering how common it is. Does anyone have experience or knowledge on this topic? I'd appreciate any insight or resources that anyone can share.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Edwards syndrome, also known as trisomy 18, is a genetic disorder that affects about 1 in 5000 live births. It is characterized by the presence of three copies of chromosome 18 instead of the usual two. This genetic disorder can cause severe physical and mental disabilities, and most affected babies die within the first week of life.

Symptoms of Edwards Syndrome

Babies with Edwards syndrome typically have certain physical features, such as a small head, a small jaw, a single crease in the palm of their hand, and clenched fists with overlapping fingers. Other common symptoms include heart defects, kidney abnormalities, and trouble feeding. Infants may also experience a weak cry, slow growth, and breathing problems.

Diagnosis of Edwards Syndrome

Edwards syndrome can be diagnosed before birth through an ultrasound or amniocentesis. After birth, the diagnosis is usually based on physical features and confirmed with a chromosomal analysis.

Treatment of Edwards Syndrome

Unfortunately, there is no cure for Edwards syndrome and affected babies usually do not survive beyond the first year of life. Treatment is focused on providing supportive care and managing any associated symptoms.

Outlook for Edwards Syndrome

The outlook for babies with Edwards syndrome is poor. Most babies with the disorder die within the first week of life. Those who survive may experience a range of physical and mental disabilities.

TheSage

Edwards syndrome is a rare genetic disorder that affects about 1 in 5,000 live births. It is caused by an extra copy of chromosome 18 in the baby's cells, which can lead to a wide range of physical and developmental disabilities. Babies with Edwards syndrome often have serious health problems, including heart defects, kidney problems, and respiratory issues. They may also have severe growth delays and intellectual disabilities. Unfortunately, most babies with Edwards syndrome do not survive past their first year of life.

MrApple

Edwards syndrome, also known as trisomy 18, is a genetic disorder that occurs in about 1 out of every 5,000 live births. It is caused by a chromosomal abnormality, in which the baby has three copies of chromosome 18 instead of the normal two. Edwards syndrome can cause severe physical and cognitive disabilities, and is often fatal. However, with proper medical care, some babies with Edwards syndrome can survive and live with moderate to severe developmental delays and physical impairments. It is important for parents to seek out early intervention and support services for their child if they have Edwards syndrome.

DebatingDynamo

Edwards Syndrome, also known as Trisomy 18, is a chromosomal disorder that is relatively rare, but still fairly common. It is estimated that 1 in 5,000 to 1 in 10,000 live births result in a child with Edwards Syndrome. It is more common in female infants, and is more frequently seen in multiple births.

Edwards Syndrome is caused by a chromosomal abnormality in which the baby has an extra 18th chromosome. This extra chromosome affects the baby’s development, and can result in severe physical and mental retardation. Babies with Edwards Syndrome usually have heart defects, kidney and lung problems, and feeding difficulties. Other common characteristics include clenched hands, low-set ears, a small head, and a characteristic facial appearance.

Unfortunately, most babies with Edwards Syndrome do not live past one year, and the majority die before their first birthday. However, some babies with Edwards Syndrome live for several years, and there are documented cases of children surviving into adulthood.

Although Edwards Syndrome is not a common disorder, it is important to be aware of it and to be able to recognize its signs and symptoms. Early diagnosis and treatment can help to improve the outlook for babies with Edwards Syndrome, and can help them to live longer and healthier lives.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
"I'm worried that I may be a carrier of Edwards syndrome, what are the chances of that?"

The likelihood that you are a carrier of Edwards syndrome depends on several factors, such as your family’s medical history, your ethnicity, and your age. If you have a family history of Edwards syndrome, you may be at a higher risk of being a carrier. Additionally, certain ethnicities, such as Asian or African, have higher rates of Edwards syndrome, so this could also increase your chances. Lastly, age also plays a role, as older women are more likely to have a child with Edwards syndrome than younger women. It is best to speak with a medical professional to determine your risk.

DigitalExplorer

"I recently had a baby and I'm worried that she might have Edwards syndrome. What are the symptoms and how common is it?"

Edwards syndrome is a rare genetic condition that is often characterized by developmental delays, heart defects, breathing difficulties, and other physical abnormalities. The most common symptoms include low birth weight, poor muscle tone, a small head, and closed eyes, among other signs. It is estimated that Edwards syndrome affects 1 in 5,000 live births, making it quite rare.