Why would white blood cells be high

CuriousCat

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or information about why white blood cells might be high. I recently had a blood test done and my white blood cell count was higher than normal. I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. Is there anything I should do about this? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
White blood cells (WBCs) are an important part of the body's immune system, responsible for fighting infection and protecting the body from foreign invaders. A high white blood cell count may indicate an underlying medical condition, such as an infection or autoimmune disorder.

Causes of High White Blood Cell Counts

The most common cause of a high white blood cell count is an infection, such as a bacterial, viral, or fungal infection. Other causes of a high white blood cell count include autoimmune disorders, such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis, physical or emotional stress, and certain medications, such as corticosteroids.

Diagnosis and Treatment of High White Blood Cell Counts

If your doctor suspects you have a high white blood cell count, they will order a complete blood count (CBC) to confirm the diagnosis. Treatment will depend on the underlying cause. If it is caused by an infection, antibiotics may be prescribed to fight the infection. If it is caused by an autoimmune disorder, medications such as corticosteroids may be prescribed to reduce inflammation. In some cases, lifestyle changes such as stress reduction and exercise may also help to reduce the white blood cell count.