Why won't my therapist diagnose me with BPD

measqu

I'm struggling to get a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder from my therapist. I'm feeling really frustrated and don't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this? I've been to multiple therapists and none of them have been willing to diagnose me with BPD. I'm really struggling and would appreciate any help.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
What is Borderline Personality Disorder?

Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) is a mental health disorder marked by unstable moods, behavior, and relationships. People with BPD experience extreme emotions, such as anger, anxiety, and depression, which can make it difficult to function in day-to-day life. BPD is also associated with difficulty regulating emotions and thoughts, as well as impulsivity.

Why Won't My Therapist Diagnose Me with BPD?

Generally, therapists will not diagnose you with BPD, as it is a complex disorder that requires a comprehensive assessment by a mental health professional. There are typically many factors that go into diagnosing BPD, such as a patient's history, current symptoms, and behaviors. In addition, a therapist may not want to diagnose a patient with BPD if it is not clinically indicated, as it can be a stigmatizing label.

Finally, BPD is a lifelong condition, and it is important for a patient to have a full understanding of the diagnosis before making a commitment to treatment. A therapist may be reluctant to diagnose a patient with BPD if they are not sure that the patient is ready to take on the challenges that come with it.