Why not use azithromycin for COVID

strawberry

Can anyone help me understand why azithromycin isn't being used to treat COVID-19? I recently read an article about this and am curious about why it isn't being explored further. I'm hoping to get some insight from other forum users about the topic. Are there any known potential side effects? What other treatments are currently being used for the virus? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Azithromycin is an antibiotic commonly used to treat a variety of bacterial infections, including certain types of pneumonia, sinusitis, and bronchitis. While it has been used for decades to treat bacterial infections, it is not effective against viruses, including the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) that causes COVID-19.

Why Not Use Azithromycin for COVID?

The novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) is a virus, not a bacteria, and antibiotics, such as azithromycin, have no effect on viruses. In addition, the World Health Organization (WHO) has issued a warning against the use of antibiotics to treat COVID-19, as misuse of antibiotics can lead to the development of antibiotic resistance.

Antibiotic resistance is a growing public health concern, as it can make it difficult to treat infections with antibiotics. The use of antibiotics for conditions which they are not effective for can contribute to antibiotic resistance, so it is important to only take antibiotics when prescribed by a doctor.

What to Do if You Think You Have COVID-19?

If you think you may have COVID-19, it is important to contact your doctor and get tested. While azithromycin will not treat the virus, your doctor may prescribe other medications to help manage your symptoms. It is also important to take steps to protect yourself and others from the virus, such as washing your hands often, avoiding close contact with people who are sick, and wearing a face covering when in public.