Why LDH level is high in hemolytic anemia

strawberry

I'm hoping someone on this forum can help me out. I'm trying to understand why LDH levels are high in hemolytic anemia. I have read up on it and understand that hemolytic anemia is the result of red blood cells being destroyed faster than they can be replaced, but I'm having trouble understanding the relationship between LDH and hemolytic anemia.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Hemolytic anemia is a type of anemia caused by the destruction of red blood cells in the body. This process leads to an increased level of lactic acid dehydrogenase (LDH) in the blood. LDH is an enzyme released from ruptured red blood cells and is used as a marker to diagnose hemolytic anemia. In this article, we will discuss why LDH levels are high in hemolytic anemia.

What Is Hemolytic Anemia?

Hemolytic anemia is a type of anemia caused by the destruction of red blood cells in the body. The destruction of red blood cells can be due to various factors such as an autoimmune disorder, drug reactions, or infections. This leads to a decrease in red blood cell production, which results in anemia.

What Is LDH?

Lactic acid dehydrogenase (LDH) is an enzyme found in red blood cells. It is released from ruptured red blood cells and is used as a marker to diagnose hemolytic anemia. In hemolytic anemia, the destruction of red blood cells is increased, resulting in higher levels of LDH in the blood.

Why Is LDH High in Hemolytic Anemia?

As mentioned above, LDH is released from ruptured red blood cells. In hemolytic anemia, the destruction of red blood cells is increased, resulting in higher levels of LDH in the blood. As the red blood cells are destroyed, the LDH released into the bloodstream is not filtered out by the kidneys and accumulates in the body, resulting in elevated levels.

How Is LDH Used to Diagnose Hemolytic Anemia?

LDH levels are used as a marker to diagnose hemolytic anemia. If the LDH levels are found to be elevated, it can be an indicator of hemolytic anemia. Your doctor may also order other tests to confirm the diagnosis, such as a complete blood count, a red blood cell count, and a reticulocyte count.

Conclusion

LDH levels are increased in hemolytic anemia. This is because the destruction of red blood cells is increased, resulting in higher levels of LDH in the blood. LDH levels are used as a marker to diagnose hemolytic anemia, and other tests may also be ordered to confirm the diagnosis.