Why is thalassemia hemolytic

DigitalExplorer

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and I am hoping to get some help understanding why thalassemia is a hemolytic disorder. I have heard of anemia caused by thalassemia, but I don't understand why it is considered a hemolytic disorder and what the underlying mechanism is.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Thalassemia is a type of hemolytic anemia that is caused by the production of abnormal hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is a protein that helps to carry oxygen throughout the body. When the body produces abnormal hemoglobin, it can cause red blood cells to break down prematurely, leading to a decrease in red blood cells. This can cause a variety of symptoms, including fatigue, pale skin, and shortness of breath.

What Causes Thalassemia?

Thalassemia is caused by a genetic mutation in the body. It is an inherited condition, meaning it is passed down from parent to child. The most common cause of thalassemia is a mutation in the HBB gene, which is responsible for the production of β-globin, a component of hemoglobin. A mutation in this gene can cause the body to produce either too much or too little of this protein, leading to an imbalance of hemoglobin in the body.

Why is Thalassemia Hemolytic?

Thalassemia is a type of hemolytic anemia because it causes an imbalance in the production of hemoglobin. This leads to an abnormal breakdown of red blood cells. As the red blood cells break down, they release their hemoglobin, which can accumulate in the bloodstream and cause anemia. This can lead to symptoms such as fatigue, pale skin, and shortness of breath. Treatment for thalassemia typically involves taking iron supplements, undergoing regular blood transfusions, and taking medications to reduce the production of abnormal hemoglobin.