Why is thalassemia a microcytic anemia

strawberry

I am trying to understand why thalassemia is a microcytic anemia and would really appreciate help from anyone who can explain it to me. I have done some research and know that it is a genetic disorder, but I am still confused as to why this causes a microcytic anemia. Can anyone help me out here? I would really appreciate any insight or ideas.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Thalassemia is a microcytic anemia due to an inherited genetic defect that affects the production of hemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying component of red blood cells. The body's red blood cells are smaller and contain less hemoglobin than normal red blood cells. As a result, the body is not able to transport enough oxygen to its tissues and organs, resulting in anemia. Thalassemia is classified into two main types: alpha thalassemia and beta thalassemia.

Alpha Thalassemia

Alpha thalassemia is caused by a mutation in the alpha globin gene that affects the production of alpha globin, one of the two main components of hemoglobin. When there is a deficiency of alpha globin, the body produces less hemoglobin, resulting in a decrease in red blood cell production and anemia. Alpha thalassemia can be mild, moderate, or severe, depending on the number of mutated alpha globin genes.

Beta Thalassemia

Beta thalassemia is caused by a mutation in the beta globin gene, which affects the production of beta globin, the other main component of hemoglobin. When there is a deficiency of beta globin, the body produces less hemoglobin, resulting in a decrease in red blood cell production and anemia. Beta thalassemia can be mild, moderate, or severe, depending on the number of mutated beta globin genes.

In both types of thalassemia, the body produces fewer red blood cells than normal, resulting in anemia. This anemia is considered to be microcytic because the red blood cells are smaller than normal. The decreased production of hemoglobin also causes the red blood cells to be hypochromic, meaning that they are paler than normal.