Why is rhinitis worse at night

DigitalExplorer

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some help. I suffer from rhinitis and I've noticed that it seems to be worse at night. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering why this might be the case and if there is anything I can do to help manage my symptoms at night. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Rhinitis is a condition in which the lining of the nose becomes inflamed and irritated. It can cause a variety of symptoms, including sneezing, a runny or congested nose, and itchy eyes. Many people find that their symptoms are worse at night, which can make it difficult to get a good night’s sleep. In this article, we look at why rhinitis is worse at night and what can be done to help.

Causes of Nighttime Rhinitis

There are several factors that can contribute to nighttime rhinitis. These include:

• Allergies: Allergic rhinitis is one of the most common causes of nighttime rhinitis. Allergic reactions can be triggered by dust mites, pet dander, mold, and other allergens.

• Hormonal Changes: Hormonal changes during the night can cause symptoms of rhinitis to worsen. This is especially true for pregnant women and those who are going through menopause.

• Temperature Changes: Temperature changes can affect the lining of your nose, making it more sensitive and more likely to become inflamed.

• Humidity: High humidity levels can cause the nasal passages to become congested, which can worsen symptoms of rhinitis.

Treatment and Prevention

Thankfully, there are many treatments and prevention methods available for nighttime rhinitis. These include:

• Over-the-counter medications: Antihistamines, decongestants, and nasal sprays can all help to reduce symptoms of rhinitis.

• Allergy treatments: Allergy shots or immunotherapy can help to reduce the severity of your allergic reactions.

• Nasal irrigation: Nasal irrigation can help to keep the nasal passages clear and reduce congestion.

• Humidifiers: Using a humidifier in your bedroom can help to keep the air moist, which can reduce symptoms of rhinitis.

• Dust mite covers: Dust mite covers for mattresses, pillows, and bedding can help to reduce allergens in the bedroom.

• Avoiding triggers: Avoiding known triggers, such as pets, can help to reduce symptoms of rhinitis.

If you have persistent or severe symptoms of rhinitis, it is important to see your doctor. They can diagnose the cause of your symptoms and recommend the best treatment for you.