Why is my antihistamine not working

CuriousCat

I'm having a problem with my antihistamine not working and I'm hoping someone on this forum might be able to help. I'm taking the same antihistamine regularly and recently it's just not helping with my allergies. Sometimes I'm still having reactions even after taking it. I'm looking for advice on what might be causing this and ways to make sure the antihistamine works properly. Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Common Reasons Antihistamines May Not Be Working

Resistance – Many people experience resistance to antihistamines. This is when the body develops a tolerance to the medication, and it no longer works as effectively as it once did. Resistance can be caused by taking the same type of allergy medication for an extended period of time, or taking higher doses than recommended.

Incorrect Dosage – Taking the incorrect dosage of an allergy medication can also cause it to be ineffective. It is important to always follow the instructions on the label, or as instructed by your doctor. Taking too much or too little of the medication can cause it to be ineffective.

Incorrect Allergy Medication – People often make the mistake of taking the wrong allergy medication for their symptoms. For example, an antihistamine will not help if the symptoms are caused by an asthma attack. It is important to understand which type of allergy medication is needed to treat the symptoms.

Allergens Not Being Avoided – Taking allergy medication without avoiding the allergens that are causing the symptoms will not help. Allergy medications only provide temporary relief, but they won’t prevent future allergic reactions. It is important to identify and avoid the allergens to prevent future reactions.

When to See a Doctor

If an antihistamine is not working, it is important to speak to a doctor. They will be able to identify the cause and recommend a suitable treatment plan. A doctor may also prescribe a stronger medication or suggest trying a different type of allergy medication.