Why is my ALT always slightly elevated

DigitalExplorer

I'm a bit worried because my ALT is always slightly elevated. I've had it checked multiple times and it's always the same result. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm curious to know if there's any insight into why it's happening and how I can bring it back down to a normal level. I'm open to any advice or resources that people can share.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
ALT, or alanine aminotransferase, is an enzyme found in the liver. In healthy people, it is usually present at low levels in the blood. However, if the liver is damaged or inflamed, ALT levels can increase. When this happens, it is known as an elevated ALT.

Causes of Elevated ALT

There are many possible causes of an elevated ALT, including:

• Alcohol abuse: Heavy alcohol consumption can damage the liver, causing an increase in ALT levels.

• Certain medications: Certain medications, such as statins and acetaminophen, can cause an increase in ALT levels when taken in large doses.

• Viral hepatitis: Viral hepatitis, such as hepatitis A, B, and C, can cause an increase in ALT levels.

• Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is a condition caused by the buildup of fat in the liver. This can lead to an increase in ALT levels.

• Autoimmune hepatitis: Autoimmune hepatitis is a condition in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks the liver, leading to inflammation and an increase in ALT levels.

Treatment of Elevated ALT

The treatment of elevated ALT depends on the underlying cause. If the cause is alcohol abuse, abstaining from alcohol can help reduce ALT levels. If the cause is a medication, switching to a different medication may help reduce ALT levels. If the cause is viral hepatitis, antiviral medications may help reduce ALT levels. For non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, lifestyle changes such as weight loss and exercise may help reduce ALT levels. For autoimmune hepatitis, immunosuppressant medications may help reduce ALT levels.

Conclusion

Elevated ALT can be caused by a variety of factors, including alcohol abuse, certain medications, viral hepatitis, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, and autoimmune hepatitis. The treatment of elevated ALT depends on the underlying cause, and can include abstaining from alcohol, switching medications, taking antiviral medications, making lifestyle changes, or taking immunosuppressant medications.