Why is MCV increased in reticulocytosis

IdeaGenius

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some help understanding why MCV is increased in reticulocytosis. Can anyone explain why this might be the case? I'm aware that reticulocytosis is a condition in which the body produces increased numbers of reticulocytes, but I'm uncertain why that would lead to an increase in MCV. Any help would be much appreciated.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Reticulocytosis is a condition in which the number of reticulocytes (immature red blood cells) in the bloodstream is higher than normal. The most common cause of reticulocytosis is anemia, which can result from blood loss, bone marrow failure, or other conditions that reduce the production of red blood cells.

What is MCV?

Mean Corpuscular Volume (MCV) is a measure of the average size of a red blood cell. It is commonly used to diagnose anemia, as red blood cells may be larger or smaller than normal in certain anemias.

Why is MCV Increased in Reticulocytosis?

Reticulocytosis is usually a sign of anemia, which is caused by a decrease in the production of red blood cells. Since the reticulocytes are immature, they tend to be larger than normal red blood cells. This increase in size of the red blood cells leads to an increase in MCV.