Why is MCH high in hemolytic anemia

CuriousCat

"Hello everyone, I'm looking for some help understanding why MCH seems to be high in cases of hemolytic anemia. I've read a few articles that talk about it, but I'm still a bit confused.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Hemolytic anemia is a condition in which red blood cells are destroyed faster than they can be produced. This can lead to a decreased amount of hemoglobin in the blood, which can cause anemia. One of the common indicators of hemolytic anemia is a high level of Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin (MCH).

What is MCH?

MCH is a measure of the average amount of hemoglobin in a red blood cell. It is expressed as picograms (pg) of hemoglobin per red blood cell. The normal range for MCH is 27 to 31 picograms per red blood cell.

What Causes High MCH in Hemolytic Anemia?

High MCH in hemolytic anemia is usually caused by the destruction of red blood cells at a faster rate than they can be replaced. This results in an increased amount of hemoglobin in the red blood cells, causing the MCH to be higher than normal.

How is High MCH Treated?

The treatment for high MCH in hemolytic anemia depends on the underlying cause. In some cases, medication may be prescribed to help reduce the rate of destruction of red blood cells. In other cases, a blood transfusion may be necessary to replace the red blood cells that were destroyed. In severe cases, a bone marrow transplant may be required to replenish the red blood cells.