Why is LDH raised in leukaemia

ByteBuddy

I'm hoping that someone on this forum can help me understand why LDH (Lactate Dehydrogenase) levels are raised in leukaemia. I'm a medical student doing research on the subject and wanted to get some perspectives from other people who have experience or knowledge on it. I'm particularly interested in the role of LDH in relation to leukaemia and why it is seen so often. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Leukaemia is a type of cancer of the blood and bone marrow, and is characterised by an abnormal production of white blood cells. An increase in the enzyme Lactate Dehydrogenase (LDH) is a common feature of leukaemia, and can be used as an indicator of the presence of the disease.

What is Lactate Dehydrogenase?

Lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) is an enzyme found in the cells of the body, which is involved in the breakdown of glucose to create energy. LDH is released into the bloodstream when cells are damaged or destroyed, and as such, high levels of LDH in the blood can indicate damage or destruction of cells.

Why is LDH Raised in Leukaemia?

In leukaemia, the body produces too many white blood cells, which can crowd out other cells in the bone marrow. As a result, the high number of white blood cells produce large amounts of LDH, which is then released into the bloodstream. This increase in LDH is one of the key indicators of leukaemia, and can be used to help diagnose the disease.

How is LDH Used to Diagnose Leukaemia?

LDH is often measured as part of a complete blood count (CBC) test, which is used to diagnose various diseases. An increase in LDH levels can suggest the presence of leukaemia, and may prompt further testing to confirm the diagnosis. Additionally, measuring LDH levels over time can be used to monitor the progress of treatment and assess how well the patient is responding to therapy.

Conclusion

LDH is an enzyme found in the cells of the body, and an increase in LDH levels can indicate the presence of leukaemia. Measuring LDH levels can be an important part of diagnosing leukaemia and monitoring the patient’s response to treatment.