Why is LDH high in thalassemia

measqu

I'm looking for help understanding why LDH levels are high in people with thalassemia. I've done a bit of research on the topic and have seen that LDH is an enzyme that is released when cells are damaged, but I'm still not sure why this is relevant to thalassemia specifically.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
LDH (lactate dehydrogenase) is an enzyme that is responsible for the conversion of pyruvate to lactate and is found in many different parts of the body. In thalassemia, a group of inherited blood disorders, LDH levels may be elevated due to an increased production of red blood cells.

What is Thalassemia?

Thalassemia is a group of inherited blood disorders that affect the production of hemoglobin, the protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen. People with thalassemia are unable to produce enough healthy red blood cells, resulting in anemia. It is most common in people of Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, and Asian descent.

What Causes High LDH Levels in Thalassemia?

In thalassemia, the body produces an increased number of red blood cells in an attempt to compensate for the low levels of hemoglobin. These extra red blood cells are not healthy and are quickly broken down, releasing higher levels of LDH into the bloodstream.

How is High LDH Treated in Thalassemia?

Treatment for high LDH levels in thalassemia involves managing the underlying cause of the disorder. This may include regular blood transfusions, iron chelation therapy, and folic acid supplements. In some cases, medications such as hydroxyurea may be prescribed to reduce the production of red blood cells.