Why is it called warm autoimmune hemolytic anemia

measqu

I am looking for help understanding why warm autoimmune hemolytic anemia is named as such. Is there anyone who can tell me about the origin of this name and how it relates to the condition? Has anyone else had experience with this condition and can offer insight? I'm hoping to gain a better understanding of this condition and would appreciate any help from fellow forum users.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Warm autoimmune hemolytic anemia (WAIHA) is a type of anemia that occurs when the body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys healthy red blood cells (RBCs). This type of anemia is called “warm” because the body’s antibody response occurs at a normal body temperature.

What Causes Warm Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia?

WAIHA is caused by the presence of auto-antibodies, which are antibodies that mistakenly attack and destroy the body’s own healthy red blood cells. These auto-antibodies can be triggered by a variety of factors, including certain medications, infections, and some underlying diseases.

What Are the Symptoms of Warm Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia?

The most common symptoms of WAIHA include fatigue, shortness of breath, pale skin, and jaundice. Other symptoms can include dark urine, abdominal pain, and enlarged spleen and liver.

How Is Warm Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia Diagnosed?

WAIHA is diagnosed through a combination of physical examination, blood tests, and imaging studies. The physical examination typically includes a complete blood count (CBC) to measure the amount of hemoglobin in the blood, as well as a reticulocyte count to measure the number of immature red blood cells. Blood tests may also be used to detect the presence of auto-antibodies. Imaging studies such as a CT scan or ultrasound may be used to evaluate the size of the spleen and liver.

How Is Warm Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia Treated?

Treatment for WAIHA typically involves medications to suppress the body’s immune system and reduce the production of auto-antibodies. Corticosteroids are the most commonly used medications for this condition. Other treatments may include blood transfusions, immune globulin, or splenectomy (surgical removal of the spleen).