Why is it called warm antibody

DreamWeaver

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with understanding why it's called "warm antibody." I'm trying to learn more about immunology and antibodies and I'm a bit confused about this term. I've done some research but I'm still not sure what makes it "warm." Does anyone have any insight? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Warm antibody is a type of antibody that is present in the blood of humans and animals. It is called warm because it is more active in warm temperatures than in cooler temperatures. Warm antibodies function to recognize antigens, which are foreign molecules that the body recognizes as a threat, and then activate the immune system to fight the antigens. Warm antibodies are typically created when a person is exposed to a particular antigen for the first time. The body then produces a large quantity of warm antibodies that are specific to that antigen, thus providing the body with a means to recognize and fight that particular antigen in the future. Warm antibodies can also be produced artificially in a laboratory setting, allowing them to be used in research or medical purposes.