Why is it called SIDS and not suffocation

CuriousCat

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping someone can help me with a question I have. I'm wondering why it's called Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and not suffocation? Is there something more to it than just a baby dying from lack of oxygen? I understand that the cause of death is still uncertain, but is there a reason why it's not called suffocation? I'd really appreciate any help or insights anyone can offer.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is a medical term that is used to describe the sudden, unexpected death of an infant under one year of age. It is sometimes referred to as "crib death" because the majority of SIDS deaths occur while the infant is sleeping in a crib. It is important to note that SIDS is not the same as suffocation.

What is SIDS?

SIDS is the sudden and unexpected death of an infant less than one year of age. It is the leading cause of death in infants between one month and one year of age. The cause of death is usually unknown, but some common risk factors include preterm birth, sleeping face-down, and maternal smoking during pregnancy.

What is the Difference Between SIDS and Suffocation?

Although SIDS and suffocation are both causes of sudden infant death, there are important differences between the two. SIDS is an unexplained death that occurs suddenly and without warning, while suffocation occurs when the infant is unable to breathe due to an external factor. Examples of external factors that can lead to suffocation include sleeping on a soft surface, being wedged between two objects, or having an object placed over the infant's face.