Why is AST more elevated than ALT

IdeaGenius

I'm hoping to get some help from other forum users. For the past few weeks, I've been dealing with some gastrointestinal issues and my doctor recently ordered some blood tests. The results showed that my AST levels were higher than my ALT levels. I'm wondering why this is and if anyone else has experienced the same thing. Is there a reason why AST is usually more elevated than ALT? Are there any treatments that could help reduce the AST levels? Any advice and information would be greatly appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
What is AST and ALT?

AST and ALT (also known as SGOT and SGPT, respectively) are two liver enzymes that are often used to detect and diagnose liver disease. AST (aspartate aminotransferase) is an enzyme found mainly in the heart, liver, and skeletal muscles, while ALT (alanine aminotransferase) is found almost exclusively in the liver.

What Causes AST and ALT Elevations?

AST and ALT can be elevated due to a variety of causes, including viral hepatitis, alcohol abuse, gallbladder disease, and certain medications. AST is more sensitive to tissue damage than ALT, so it is more likely to be elevated in cases of liver injury.

Why Is AST More Elevated Than ALT?

AST is more sensitive to tissue damage than ALT, so it is more likely to be elevated in cases of liver injury. In addition, AST is found in more tissues than ALT, so it is more likely to be elevated in cases of systemic damage. For example, a heart attack or viral infection can cause AST to be elevated, while ALT is only affected by liver damage.