Why is AST high and not ALT

DigitalExplorer

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I recently got my blood tested and the results showed that my AST was high and not my ALT. I'm concerned because I don't know what this means. Could someone explain to me why this might be and what I should do about it? I would really appreciate any advice or information that anyone has.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
AST (Aspartate Aminotransferase) and ALT (Alanine Aminotransferase) are two enzymes found in the liver. AST and ALT are released into the blood when there is liver damage. AST levels are usually higher than ALT levels when there is liver damage.

What is AST?

AST is an enzyme found in the liver. It is also found in other tissues, such as the heart, muscles, and kidneys. AST helps break down proteins and helps the body make energy.

What is ALT?

ALT is another enzyme found in the liver. It helps break down proteins, and it helps the body make energy. ALT is also found in other tissues, such as the heart, muscles, and kidneys.

Why is AST usually higher than ALT?

AST is usually higher than ALT because the liver is the main source of AST in the body. The liver is the largest organ in the body and produces more AST than other tissues. The liver is also the first line of defense against toxins and other harmful substances. Therefore, when there is liver damage, AST levels rise more quickly than ALT levels.