Why is amylase and lipase low

DreamWeaver

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm wondering why both amylase and lipase levels are low in my blood work. I haven't been able to find much information about this and I'm really struggling to understand what it means. Has anyone else had similar experiences? Can anyone tell me what to do to try to get those levels back to normal, or what the cause might be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Amylase and lipase are two enzymes that play an important role in digestion. Low levels of these enzymes can indicate a variety of medical conditions, from pancreatic insufficiency to celiac disease.

What is Amylase?

Amylase is an enzyme that breaks down carbohydrates into smaller components. It is produced by the pancreas and the salivary glands and is essential for the digestion of starches and other complex sugars.

What is Lipase?

Lipase is an enzyme that breaks down fats into simpler molecules. It is produced by the pancreas and the small intestine and is essential for the digestion of fats.

What Causes Low Levels of Amylase and Lipase?

Low levels of amylase and lipase can be caused by a variety of medical conditions, including pancreatic insufficiency, celiac disease, cystic fibrosis, and chronic pancreatitis. These conditions can affect the amount and/or activity of the enzymes produced by the pancreas.

How is Low Amylase and Low Lipase Diagnosed?

Low amylase and lipase levels can be detected with a blood test. If the levels of these enzymes are low, further testing may be needed to determine the underlying cause.

Treatment for Low Amylase and Low Lipase

Treatment for low amylase and lipase depends on the underlying cause. In some cases, medications or dietary changes may be recommended. In more severe cases, surgery may be necessary.