Why is ALT and AST high in liver disease

IdeaGenius

I'm looking for help understanding why ALT and AST levels are high in liver disease. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm hoping to understand why these levels are so high and how to address them. I've read a bit about the condition, but any insights or advice from people who have gone through a similar experience would be greatly appreciated. Please share your stories and advice.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
ALT and AST are two important enzymes found in the liver that are used to measure liver health. When liver cells are damaged or inflamed, these enzymes are released into the bloodstream at higher levels than normal, resulting in elevated ALT and AST levels.

Causes of High ALT and AST Levels

The most common cause of high ALT and AST levels is liver disease. This can include viral hepatitis, alcoholic liver disease, fatty liver disease, and other liver disorders. Other conditions that can cause elevated ALT and AST levels include heart failure, acute pancreatitis, and certain medications.

Diagnosing the Cause of High ALT and AST Levels

To determine the cause of high ALT and AST levels, a doctor will usually perform a physical examination and order blood tests, imaging tests, and/or a liver biopsy. The doctor may also ask about lifestyle factors, such as alcohol consumption and drug use, to help narrow down the diagnosis.

Treatment of High ALT and AST Levels

Treatment for high ALT and AST levels depends on the underlying cause of the liver damage. If the damage is caused by a virus, medications may be used to reduce the virus load in the body. If the damage is caused by alcohol, the patient may be advised to abstain from drinking. If the damage is caused by a medication, the doctor may recommend an alternative. In some cases, medications may be prescribed to reduce inflammation and protect the liver from further damage.