Why is ALT and AST elevated

CuriousCat

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I recently had some blood tests done and my ALT and AST levels were elevated. I'm not sure what this means and I'm worried that something might be wrong with me. Can anyone tell me why ALT and AST levels are elevated and what I should do about it? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
ALT and AST are two enzymes found in the liver that are often used to measure liver health. High levels of these enzymes can indicate liver damage, though there are many other causes of elevated levels.

What Is ALT?

ALT stands for alanine aminotransferase, an enzyme found in the liver and other organs. It is released into the bloodstream when the liver is damaged, often due to an underlying health condition.

What Is AST?

AST stands for aspartate aminotransferase, another enzyme found in the liver and other organs. It is released into the bloodstream when the liver is damaged, often due to an underlying health condition.

Causes of High Levels of ALT and AST

High levels of ALT and AST can be caused by a variety of conditions, including viral hepatitis, alcoholic liver disease, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, liver cancer, and drug-induced liver injury. Other less common causes include autoimmune diseases, metabolic disorders, toxins, and certain medications.

Diagnosis and Treatment

If your doctor suspects that your ALT and AST levels are elevated, they will likely order additional tests to confirm the diagnosis. Treatment will depend on the underlying cause of the elevated levels, and may involve medications, lifestyle modifications, or surgery.