Why is allergic rhinitis worse at night

ByteBuddy

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for help understanding why allergic rhinitis is worse at night. I suffer from allergies and have noticed that my symptoms get worse in the night, and I'm curious why this happens. Can anyone provide insight into what might be causing my symptoms to worsen at night? Are there any tips or strategies I can use to help reduce my symptoms? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Allergic rhinitis is a common condition that can cause a range of unpleasant symptoms, including a runny nose, sneezing, and nasal congestion. Unfortunately, these symptoms may be worse at night, making it difficult to get a good night’s sleep. In this article, we look at the reasons why allergic rhinitis may be worse at night, as well as treatment options that can help.

Subtitle: Common Causes

Allergic rhinitis is triggered by allergens, such as dust, pollen, or pet dander. These allergens may cause an inflammatory response, leading to symptoms such as sneezing, a runny nose, and nasal congestion.

At night, allergens in the air may become more concentrated and irritating. In addition, the body produces more of the hormone cortisol in response to allergens at night. This hormone can cause inflammation and make symptoms worse.

Subtitle: Other Factors

In addition to allergens, there are several other factors that can make allergic rhinitis worse at night, including:

• Temperature and humidity: Changes in temperature and humidity can cause nasal passages to swell, leading to congestion.

• Stress: Stress can cause an inflammatory response and make symptoms worse.

• Sleep position: Sleeping in certain positions, such as lying on one’s back, can make nasal passages more prone to swelling.

Subtitle: Treatment

There are several treatments that can help to reduce symptoms of allergic rhinitis and make it easier to get a good night’s sleep. These include:

• Antihistamines: Antihistamines are medications that can help to reduce inflammation and alleviate symptoms.

• Nasal sprays: Nasal sprays can help to reduce congestion and make it easier to breathe.

• Allergen avoidance: Avoiding known allergens can help to reduce symptoms.

• Steam inhalation: Inhaling steam can help to reduce inflammation and open up the nasal passages.

• Humidifier: A humidifier can help to keep the air in the bedroom moist, making it easier to breathe.