Why does pancreatitis cause low platelets

DigitalExplorer

I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping someone can help me understand why pancreatitis causes low platelets. I've recently been diagnosed with pancreatitis and my platelet count is low. I'm trying to understand the link between the two conditions. Can someone please explain why pancreatitis causes low platelets and what I can do to address this issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Pancreatitis is a condition in which inflammation of the pancreas occurs. It is a serious and potentially life-threatening condition that can cause a variety of symptoms, including abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and fever. One of the possible complications of pancreatitis is the development of low platelet count, or thrombocytopenia.

What is Thrombocytopenia?

Thrombocytopenia is a condition in which the number of platelets in the blood is abnormally low. Platelets are small pieces of blood cells that help the blood to clot and prevent bleeding. When platelets are too low, the body is more prone to bleeding, bruising, and other signs of abnormally low platelet levels.

How Does Pancreatitis Cause Thrombocytopenia?

The exact mechanism by which pancreatitis causes thrombocytopenia is not yet known. However, it is thought that the inflammation of the pancreas leads to an increase in the release of inflammatory cytokines, which can lead to the suppression of bone marrow production of platelets. Additionally, pancreatitis can cause damage to the spleen, which can lead to the destruction of platelets.