Why does MCV increase in megaloblastic anemia

IdeaGenius

"Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm trying to understand why MCV (mean corpuscular volume) increases in megaloblastic anemia. I've read that it's because of a decrease in the size of red blood cells, but I'm not sure I fully understand the connection. Does anyone have any insight they could share? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Megaloblastic anemia is a type of anemia characterized by large, immature red blood cells. It is caused by a deficiency of vitamin B12 or folate. This deficiency leads to a decrease in the production of DNA, resulting in large, immature red blood cells. As a result, the cells cannot mature properly, leading to an increase in the mean corpuscular volume (MCV).

What is MCV?

MCV is a measure of the average size of red blood cells. It is calculated by dividing the total volume of red blood cells by the total number of red blood cells. A high MCV indicates that the red blood cells are larger than normal.

What Causes an Increase in MCV?

An increase in MCV is typically caused by a decrease in the production of DNA, which leads to the formation of large, immature red blood cells. This can be caused by a deficiency in vitamin B12 or folate, as these vitamins are necessary for the production of DNA.

How is Megaloblastic Anemia Diagnosed?

Megaloblastic anemia is typically diagnosed through a complete blood count (CBC) and a peripheral blood smear. The CBC will show an increased MCV, as well as a decrease in the number of red blood cells. The peripheral blood smear will show the large, immature red blood cells. Additional tests, such as a vitamin B12 or folate test, may be necessary to confirm the diagnosis.

How is Megaloblastic Anemia Treated?

Megaloblastic anemia is typically treated with vitamin B12 or folate supplements. These supplements will replenish the deficient vitamins, thereby allowing the body to produce normal red blood cells. In some cases, additional treatments, such as a blood transfusion, may be necessary.