Why does LDH increase in thalassemia

strawberry

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and am hoping for some help. I'm trying to understand why LDH levels increase in thalassemia. I've read that it can be due to the increased number of red cells breaking down in the body, but I'm looking for more information on the subject.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Thalassemia is a group of inherited blood disorders that cause the body to produce fewer healthy red blood cells and less hemoglobin than normal. As a result, people with thalassemia can suffer from anemia and other complications. One of the most common complications of thalassemia is an increase in the levels of the enzyme lactate dehydrogenase (LDH). In this article, we will explore why LDH increases in thalassemia.

What is Lactate Dehydrogenase (LDH)?

Lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) is an enzyme found in the body. It is responsible for converting lactate (a form of sugar) into energy. LDH is found in many tissues and organs, including the heart, liver, kidney, and muscles.

Why does LDH increase in Thalassemia?

The increase in LDH levels is caused by the destruction of red blood cells in thalassemia. When red blood cells are destroyed, they release their contents, including LDH, into the bloodstream. This causes the LDH levels to rise.

The increase in LDH levels can also be due to other factors, such as increased production or decreased clearance of LDH.

What are the Complications of High LDH Levels?

High LDH levels can cause a variety of complications, including fatigue, difficulty breathing, and an enlarged spleen. High LDH levels can also lead to an increased risk of heart failure and other heart problems.

How is High LDH Treated?

High LDH levels can be treated with medication, such as diuretics, which help to reduce fluid retention. In some cases, blood transfusions may be necessary to reduce LDH levels.

In conclusion, thalassemia can lead to an increase in LDH levels. This increase can cause a variety of complications, including fatigue, difficulty breathing, and an enlarged spleen. Treatment for high LDH levels includes medication and, in some cases, blood transfusions.