Why does hemolytic disease occur

DigitalExplorer

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for help understanding why hemolytic disease occurs. I know it has something to do with red blood cells being destroyed, but I'm not sure what the exact cause is. Can anyone help me out and explain why hemolytic disease happens? Any advice or input would be much appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Hemolytic disease is a condition that occurs when an unborn baby's blood cells are destroyed by the mother's immune system. This can happen when the mother and baby have different blood types. When this occurs, the mother's body produces antibodies that attack the baby's blood cells, resulting in hemolytic disease.

Causes of Hemolytic Disease

Hemolytic disease is caused by a mismatch in blood type between the mother and baby. The mother's body produces antibodies that attack the baby's blood cells, resulting in hemolytic disease. The most common cause of hemolytic disease is when the mother is Rh-negative and the baby is Rh-positive. This is known as Rh incompatibility.

Symptoms of Hemolytic Disease

The most common symptom of hemolytic disease is jaundice, which can cause yellowing of the skin and eyes. Other symptoms may include anemia, increased heart rate, low birth weight, and difficulty breathing.

Treatment of Hemolytic Disease

Hemolytic disease is usually treated with a series of blood transfusions. These transfusions help replace the baby's destroyed red blood cells and can help reduce the symptoms of the disease. In some cases, the baby may need additional treatments, such as steroids, to help reduce the effects of the disease.