Why does hemolysis affect blood test results

measqu

I'm hoping someone can help me understand why hemolysis affects blood test results. I'm having difficulty understanding why certain tests are affected and how to interpret the results. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what advice can you give me? I'd really appreciate any information or tips that forum users can provide.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Hemolysis is the breaking down of red blood cells, and this process can affect the results of blood tests. Hemolysis can occur either before or during a laboratory analysis of a sample of blood. When red blood cells are damaged, they release their contents into the surrounding fluid. This can interfere with the accuracy of the test results, as the released content can interfere with the chemical reactions used to measure the concentration of various compounds in the blood.

What Causes Hemolysis?

Hemolysis can occur due to a variety of factors, including physical trauma to the red blood cells, chemical or environmental exposure, or an underlying medical condition. Red blood cells may be damaged when they come into contact with certain substances, such as detergents or strong acids, or by being exposed to extreme temperatures. In some cases, an inherited disorder can cause red blood cells to be more fragile and prone to breaking down.

How Does Hemolysis Affect Blood Tests?

Hemolysis can interfere with the accuracy of blood test results by releasing substances that can interfere with the chemical reactions used to measure the concentration of various compounds in the blood. For example, hemolysis can release enzymes and other substances into the blood that can affect the results of tests for glucose, electrolytes, and other compounds. Hemolysis can also disrupt the accuracy of tests that measure the levels of certain proteins and hormones.

What Can Be Done to Reduce Hemolysis?

In order to reduce the risk of hemolysis affecting the accuracy of blood test results, it is important to ensure that the sample is handled correctly and stored at the correct temperature. In addition, blood samples should be collected using sterile equipment and transported to the laboratory as soon as possible. If a sample appears to be hemolyzed, the laboratory should be notified so that the sample can be discarded and a new one taken.