Why does BPD lower life expectancy

measqu

"Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping to get some help with a question I have. Does anyone have any insight on why Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) lowers life expectancy? I've been looking into this and it seems that there are some possible explanations, but I'm not sure what they are.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) is a severe mental health disorder that can cause a variety of symptoms, including intense emotions, impulsive behavior, and unstable relationships. Unfortunately, BPD has been known to significantly lower life expectancy due to its associated risks of self-harm, substance abuse, and suicide.

Impact of Impulsive Behaviour

One of the most prominent symptoms of BPD is impulsive behavior. People with BPD are prone to acting on impulse without considering potential consequences, which can lead to dangerous scenarios. People with BPD are more likely to engage in risky behaviors such as substance abuse, reckless driving, unprotected sex, and self-harming behaviors. All of these behaviors can have serious consequences, including physical injury, legal trouble, and death.

Risk of Self-Harm

Self-harm is a common symptom of BPD, and it is associated with a significantly increased risk of suicide. People with BPD often experience intense emotions, which can lead to overwhelming feelings of hopelessness and despair. This can lead to self-harming behaviors such as cutting, burning, or overdosing on drugs. These behaviors can be extremely dangerous, and can even lead to death.

Difficulties with Treatment

BPD can be difficult to treat due to the complexity of the disorder and the fact that many people with BPD are resistant to treatment. People with BPD often have trouble trusting their treatment providers, which can make it difficult for them to get the help they need. Additionally, many people with BPD are unable to access appropriate treatment due to financial or other barriers.

Conclusion

BPD can significantly lower life expectancy due to its associated risks of self-harm, substance abuse, and suicide. The disorder's impulsive behavior can lead to dangerous scenarios, while its risk of self-harm can lead to death. Treatment can be difficult due to trust issues and access to care, making it all the more important for people with BPD to get the help they need.