Why does a narcissist not make eye contact

strawberry

I'm trying to better understand why a narcissist might not make eye contact and I'm looking for advice from people who have experience with this. I'm hoping to get some insight on why a narcissist might avoid eye contact and how to handle it. Does anyone have any advice or personal experiences they'd be willing to share? I'd really appreciate it.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Narcissism is a personality disorder that is characterized by an excessive need for admiration and an excessive sense of self-importance. People with this disorder often have difficulty making meaningful connections with others, which can manifest itself in a variety of ways, including avoiding eye contact. Because of this, narcissists may not make eye contact when speaking to people, or when they do, it may be brief and unemotional.

The Impact of Narcissism on Eye Contact

Making eye contact can be a difficult task for someone with narcissism. They may be uncomfortable looking into another person's eyes for fear of being judged or criticized. Furthermore, they may not be able to understand how their own behavior is affecting the other person. Narcissists often have difficulty understanding or empathizing with the feelings of others, which can make it even harder for them to make eye contact.

Another reason why narcissists may not make eye contact is because they may be trying to hide their true feelings. They may be afraid of revealing too much about themselves, or they may be trying to protect themselves from potential criticism. Making eye contact can be a way of avoiding vulnerability and maintaining control over the situation.

How To Help A Narcissist Make Eye Contact

If you are dealing with someone who has a narcissistic personality disorder, it is important to be patient and understanding. Making eye contact is a learned behavior, and it can take some time for a person with narcissism to become comfortable with it.

One way to help someone with narcissism become more comfortable with eye contact is to make sure that your own behavior is non-judgmental and accepting. Try to create an atmosphere of safety, where the person can feel comfortable revealing themselves without feeling judged or criticized.

You can also try to help the person practice making eye contact in a safe and supportive environment. Be patient and understanding, and allow the person to take their time as they learn to make eye contact.

Finally, it is important to remember that narcissism is a disorder, and it is not something that can be fixed overnight. It may take some time for the person to become comfortable with making eye contact, and it is important to be patient and understanding throughout the process.