Why does a gum cyst occur

IdeaGenius

I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I recently noticed a cyst on my gum and am trying to figure out why it might have occurred. Is there anyone here who knows what could have caused it or has experience with gum cysts? Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Gum cysts are also known as gingival cysts. They are cysts that form in the gums, usually near the base of a tooth. The cysts can be filled with fluid or semi-solid material. Gum cysts can range in size from a few millimeters to several centimeters in diameter.

Causes of Gum Cysts

Gum cysts are most often caused by bacteria that accumulate in the gums. The bacteria can cause inflammation, which can lead to the formation of a pocket of pus or fluid. Sometimes, the cyst is caused by an injury to the gums, such as a cut or puncture.

Symptoms of Gum Cysts

The most common symptom of a gum cyst is a small, painless lump on the gums. The lump may be red and swollen, and it may feel firm to the touch. In some cases, the cyst may also cause pain or discomfort when chewing or brushing the teeth.

Treatment of Gum Cysts

The treatment for gum cysts depends on the size and location of the cyst. Small cysts may be able to be treated with antibiotics or other medications. If the cyst is large, it may need to be surgically removed. In some cases, the cyst may need to be drained to relieve pressure and discomfort.