Why do my allergies get worse when it's cold

IdeaGenius

I'm dealing with seasonal allergies and I'm wondering, why do my allergies seem to get worse when it's cold? I usually experience worse symptoms in the winter months and I'm looking for help understanding why this happens. Does anyone else have this same experience, or can anyone provide insight into what might be causing this? I'd really appreciate any advice or tips about how to deal with this seasonal allergy issue.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Many people find that their allergies become more severe when the weather turns cold. This is because cold air can cause nasal passages to become inflamed, making them more sensitive to environmental allergens. Additionally, cold temperatures can cause the body to produce more histamine, which is a chemical that triggers allergic reactions.

Allergens in Cold Weather

Cold weather can bring with it a host of allergens, such as mold, dust mites, and pollen. These allergens are often more concentrated in cold weather, as the air is drier and there is less wind to disperse them. This means that even if you don’t usually have allergies, you may find that you have more severe allergy symptoms when it is cold outside.

Tips to Minimize Allergy Symptoms

There are a few steps you can take to reduce your allergy symptoms when it is cold outside. First, try to avoid going outdoors when the pollen count is high. Additionally, consider wearing a face mask or using an air purifier to reduce your exposure to allergens. Finally, use a saline spray to keep your nasal passages moist and reduce inflammation.

When to See a Doctor

If your allergy symptoms are severe or persistent, it is important to see a doctor. An allergist can help diagnose the cause of your allergies and recommend the best treatment plan for you. Additionally, they may be able to prescribe medications, such as antihistamines or nasal sprays, to help reduce your symptoms.