Why do I cry when I get yelled at

CuriousCat

I feel so embarrassed when I cry when someone yells at me. I don't understand why I have this reaction and it's really hard for me to control. Does anyone else have this same reaction? Is there anything I can do to help myself and stop crying when I get yelled at? I'm really struggling with this and I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions from anyone who has gone through something similar.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Sensitivity

When we get yelled at, it may be difficult to understand why we feel so emotional. It can be hard to remain composed and rational when someone is yelling or raising their voice in anger. It's possible to feel overwhelmed and helpless, causing us to sob or cry. This reaction is often due to our innate sensitivity and how we have been conditioned to respond to confrontation.

Childhood Experiences

Our reactions to being yelled at can be linked to our childhood experiences. If we were raised in an environment where we were constantly yelled at or in fear of being yelled at, then this can lead to us having a heightened sensitivity to being yelled at in adulthood. We may also have been pushed to our limits and felt helpless, leading to us crying in response.

Anxiety and Stress

Our response to being yelled at may also be linked to our anxiety and stress levels. If we've been feeling anxious or stressed about a particular situation, then it can lead to us feeling overwhelmed when we are yelled at. This can cause us to panic and cry in response.

Feeling Unsupported

When we are yelled at, we may also feel unsupported. We may feel like no one is on our side and that we have no one to turn to. This can make us feel helpless and vulnerable, causing us to cry.

Unresolved Issues

It's possible that when we get yelled at, it may stir up unresolved issues or feelings from our past. We may feel like we are being treated the same way we were treated in the past, and this can lead to us feeling overwhelmed and crying.

Conclusion

We may cry when we get yelled at due to our sensitivity, childhood experiences, anxiety and stress levels, feeling unsupported, and unresolved issues. Understanding why we feel so emotional can help us to come to terms with our reactions and learn how to better manage our emotions.