Why do eyes get darker when angry

measqu

Hello everyone! I'm looking for some help with a question about why eyes get darker when someone is angry. Have any of you ever experienced this or do you have any knowledge on the subject? I'm really curious to know why this happens and if there's any scientific explanation for it. I'd love to hear your thoughts and any stories you might have about this.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Introduction

It is a common observation that the eyes of a person become darker and more intense when they are angry. This reaction is known as ‘dilation’ and is one of the most common physical responses to anger or other strong emotions. The exact reason for this reaction is not fully understood, but there are several theories that attempt to explain the phenomenon.

Theoretical Explanations

One of the main theories about why eyes get darker when angry is the fight or flight response. This is an evolutionary response that is triggered when a person feels threatened or is faced with a stressful situation. When the fight or flight response is triggered, the body releases a surge of hormones, including adrenaline, which causes the pupils to dilate. This dilation allows more light into the eye, making the iris appear darker.

Another theory is that the dilation of the pupils is a way of communicating to others that the person is angry. By making their eyes appear darker, they are sending a subtle warning signal to stay away. This theory suggests that the dilation of the pupils is a way of showing dominance and is often seen in animals as well as humans.

Conclusion

Overall, why eyes get darker when angry is still not fully understood. However, it is likely that the dilation of the pupils is a response to the fight or flight response or a way of communicating dominance. Whatever the reason, it is clear that the dilation of the pupils is a common reaction to strong emotions such as anger.