Why do babies stop breathing when crying

CuriousCat

I'm a new parent and I'm really worried about why my baby sometimes stops breathing when he cries. I've heard it's a common problem, but I don't understand why it happens. Has anyone else experienced this with their baby? Can anyone help me understand why my baby is doing this, and what I can do to help? I would really appreciate any advice or tips from other parents who have gone through this. Thanks in advance.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Introduction

When babies cry, it's a normal part of life. But sometimes they may stop breathing when crying, which is a cause of concern for parents. This phenomenon, known as periodic breathing, is often mistaken for a medical emergency but is usually harmless. In this article, we'll discuss why babies stop breathing when crying and what parents can do to help.

What is Periodic Breathing?

Periodic breathing is when a baby stops breathing for a few seconds during their cry. This happens due to the baby's immature respiratory system, which is still developing. As the baby's breathing becomes more regular, the pauses in breathing will become less frequent and eventually go away.

Why Do Babies Stop Breathing When Crying?

When babies are crying, their breathing becomes irregular and can cause them to take a few breaths and then pause for a few seconds. This is because the baby’s respiratory muscles are not yet fully developed and can’t keep up with the rapid breathing that occurs when crying.

What Should Parents Do?

Parents should not be alarmed if their baby stops breathing while crying, as this is usually a normal part of development. However, if the pauses in breathing become more frequent or last longer, it may be a sign of a medical condition and you should seek medical help. Parents can also help their baby by soothing them and providing a calm environment.