Why do allergies occur

strawberry

"Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm trying to understand why allergies occur and I'm looking for some advice.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Allergies are an overreaction of the body’s immune system to certain substances, such as pollen, peanuts, pet dander, and certain medications. The immune system produces antibodies that cause the body to release histamine and other chemicals, which can cause a range of symptoms, including sneezing, itching, watery eyes, and a runny nose.

What Causes Allergies?

Allergies occur when the immune system mistakes a harmless substance (allergen) for a dangerous one. This triggers an immune response, which is what causes the symptoms of an allergy. Common allergens include pollen, animal dander, dust mites, mold, and certain foods, such as peanuts, eggs, or shellfish.

How Are Allergies Diagnosed?

Allergies are typically diagnosed through a physical exam and a review of your medical history. Your doctor may also perform tests, such as a skin prick test or a blood test, to determine which allergens you are sensitive to.

How Are Allergies Treated?

Treatment for allergies typically consists of avoiding the allergen or taking medications to reduce the symptoms. In some cases, allergy shots may be recommended for long-term relief.

Allergies can be a nuisance, but they are manageable with the right treatment. If you think you may have an allergy, it’s important to talk to your doctor to get the right diagnosis and treatment plan.