Why are there only 14 allergens

IdeaGenius

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm trying to understand why there are only 14 allergens that must be declared on food labels. Does anyone know why this number is so limited? I know there are a lot more than 14 foods that can cause allergic reactions, so what makes these 14 the most important allergens to list on food labels? Is it because these 14 are the most common allergens, or is there something else at play? I'd love to hear other people's thoughts and experiences on the matter.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Allergens: What Are They?

Allergens are substances that cause an allergic reaction in some people. Allergens can be found in food, pollen, animal dander, dust mites, and other substances. The 14 allergens recognized by the World Allergy Organization (WAO) are: milk, egg, fish, crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, soy, sesame seeds, lupin, celery, mustard, and sulfur dioxide.

Why Are There Only 14 Allergens?

The 14 allergens recognized by the WAO are the most common causes of food allergies. Allergens are divided into two categories: inhalant allergens, which are airborne and cause allergic reactions when inhaled, and food allergens, which cause reactions when ingested. The WAO has chosen these 14 allergens because they are the most likely to cause reactions.

Diagnosis and Treatment of Allergens

If you suspect that you may have an allergy to one of the 14 allergens, it is important to see a doctor for a diagnosis. Your doctor may recommend an elimination diet, allergy testing, or other diagnostic tests to determine which allergen you are sensitive to. Once the allergen has been identified, your doctor can determine the best course of treatment, which may include avoiding the allergen, taking medications, and/or receiving immunotherapy.

Conclusion

The 14 allergens recognized by the WAO are the most common causes of food allergies. If you suspect that you may have an allergy to one of these allergens, it is important to see a doctor for diagnosis and treatment.