Why ALT is more liver specific than AST

DreamWeaver

Hi everyone! I'm having trouble understanding why ALT is more liver specific than AST. I've been researching this topic but I'm still not sure I have a full understanding. Could someone help me out and explain why ALT is more liver specific than AST? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
ALT (alanine aminotransferase) and AST (aspartate aminotransferase) are enzymes produced mainly by the cells of the liver, although they can also be found in other organs. These enzymes are used to measure the health of the liver and to detect any damage that may have occurred. ALT is thought to be more specific to the liver because it is found in much higher concentrations in the liver than in other organs.

Physiological Reasons

ALT is mainly produced in the liver by hepatocytes, whereas AST is produced by both hepatocytes and other cells, such as muscle cells. This means that there is a greater concentration of ALT in the liver than in other organs, which makes it a more specific biomarker for liver health.

Clinical Implications

The fact that ALT is more liver-specific than AST means that it is a more reliable marker for liver health. This is because any changes in ALT levels can be attributed more accurately to liver damage than changes in AST levels can. This means that ALT is a more reliable marker for detecting and monitoring liver disease.

Conclusion

ALT is considered to be more liver specific than AST due to its greater concentration in the liver than in other organs. This makes it a more reliable marker for detecting and monitoring liver disease, as changes in ALT levels can be attributed more accurately to liver damage than changes in AST levels can.