Who is at highest risk for severe COVID

IdeaGenius

I'm looking for some help understanding who is at highest risk for severe COVID. I've heard that some people are more vulnerable to the virus than others, but I'm not sure who those people are or what makes them high risk. Can anyone provide some insight into this? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Older adults and people of any age with certain underlying medical conditions are at greater risk for severe illness from COVID-19. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), people aged 65 years and older and those with underlying medical conditions, such as chronic lung disease, moderate to severe asthma, serious heart conditions, immunocompromised status, severe obesity, diabetes, chronic kidney disease undergoing dialysis, and liver disease, are at higher risk for developing more serious complications from COVID-19.

Occupation

People who work in healthcare and other essential services are at higher risk for getting COVID-19. Healthcare workers and first responders are at risk for acquiring the virus from their patients or from other workers. People who work in close contact with large groups of people, such as teachers, grocery store workers, and transportation workers, are also at risk.

People living in close contact with others, such as in nursing homes, group homes, and homeless shelters, are more likely to get severe COVID-19. People living in areas with high levels of air pollution, such as cities, are also at higher risk for developing more serious complications from COVID-19.

Other Factors

People who have had contact with someone who is known to have COVID-19, or who have traveled to an area with active coronavirus transmission, are also at higher risk for developing severe COVID-19. People who have weakened immune systems, such as those with HIV or people undergoing cancer treatment, are also at greater risk for developing more serious complications from COVID-19.