Who is ADHD most common among

DreamWeaver

I'm looking for some help and advice about who ADHD is most common among. I have been doing some research on the topic, but I'm still not sure who is most commonly affected by ADHD. Does anyone have any insight into this? I'm especially interested in hearing from anyone who has personal experience with ADHD, or knows someone who does. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
ADHD Among Children

Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is one of the most common childhood mental health disorders. It is estimated that approximately 5% of children in the United States have ADHD. Boys are three to four times more likely to have ADHD than girls. It is estimated that 30–50% of children with ADHD will continue to have symptoms into adulthood.

ADHD Among Adults

ADHD is also common among adults, although it is often underdiagnosed. It is estimated that approximately 4% of adults in the United States have ADHD. Like in children, men are more likely to have ADHD than women, with a ratio of 3:1. It is estimated that 70–80% of children with ADHD will continue to have symptoms into adulthood.

Risk Factors for ADHD

There are several risk factors associated with developing ADHD, including:

- Genetics: There is a strong genetic component to ADHD, and it is estimated that approximately one-third of cases are due to genetic predisposition.

- Environment: Exposure to certain environmental toxins, such as lead, can increase the risk of developing ADHD.

- Prenatal factors: Exposure to alcohol, nicotine, and other drugs during pregnancy can increase the risk of developing ADHD.

- Developmental delays: Delays in language or motor development can increase the risk of developing ADHD.

Treatment for ADHD

There are a variety of treatments available for ADHD, including medications, behavioral therapy, and lifestyle modifications. It is important to work with a qualified mental health professional to develop an individualized plan that is tailored to the person’s specific needs.