Which vitamin deficiency causes mouth ulcers

ByteBuddy

I'm hoping to find some help from other forum users on this topic. I'm wondering which vitamin deficiency causes mouth ulcers? I've heard that some deficiencies can cause mouth ulcers, but I'm not sure which one. Does anyone have any information or experience with this? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Vitamin Deficiency and Mouth Ulcers

Mouth ulcers, also called aphthous ulcers, are painful sores that can form on the tongue, gums, and inside the cheeks. Although mouth ulcers can be caused by a variety of factors, including trauma, irritation, and certain medical conditions, vitamin deficiencies are among the most common causes. Vitamin deficiencies, particularly of folate and vitamin B12, have been linked to the development of mouth ulcers.

Folate is a water-soluble B-vitamin that is found in many foods, including dark leafy greens, legumes, and citrus fruits. It is necessary for the production of red blood cells and DNA and plays a critical role in the metabolism of carbohydrates and proteins. Folate deficiency can lead to anemia, fatigue, and, in some cases, mouth ulcers.

Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin found in a variety of animal-based products, including eggs, dairy products, and meat. It is necessary for the formation of red blood cells and DNA and plays a critical role in nerve function and metabolism. Vitamin B12 deficiency can lead to anemia, fatigue, and mouth ulcers.

In addition to folate and vitamin B12, other vitamin deficiencies can also lead to mouth ulcers, including deficiencies of vitamin C, vitamin B6, and iron.

Treatment

Mouth ulcers caused by vitamin deficiencies can often be treated by addressing the underlying deficiency. Supplementation with the vitamin or vitamins that are deficient is often helpful. In addition, eating a balanced diet and avoiding foods that trigger mouth ulcers can be helpful in preventing them from recurring.