Which type of hemolytic anemia results in RBC destruction

strawberry

Hello everyone,

I am looking for information on which type of hemolytic anemia results in RBC destruction. I have been researching this topic, but I am still confused about the different types of hemolytic anemia and their effects. Can anyone help me understand which type of hemolytic anemia leads to RBC destruction and what are the symptoms of it?

I would really appreciate any help or advice anyone can provide me with.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia

Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) is a type of hemolytic anemia in which red blood cells (RBCs) are destroyed by the body's own immune system. The destruction of red blood cells can be caused by an autoimmune disorder, in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks healthy cells as if they were foreign invaders. This type of destruction of RBCs is known as hemolysis. AIHA can be caused by a variety of factors, including genetic predisposition, infections, and medications.

In AIHA, the body produces antibodies, which are proteins that recognize foreign substances in the body and work to destroy them. These antibodies are directed against the red blood cells, causing them to be destroyed. This results in anemia, which is a decrease in the number of red blood cells in the body. Symptoms of AIHA can include fatigue, pale skin, shortness of breath, and jaundice.

AIHA can be divided into two categories: warm antibody AIHA and cold antibody AIHA. In warm antibody AIHA, the antibodies are active at temperatures close to that of the body, and in cold antibody AIHA, the antibodies are active at temperatures lower than that of the body. Treatment for AIHA may involve medications to reduce the production of antibodies or to suppress the immune system, as well as blood transfusions to replace the destroyed red blood cells.